Applying to College Horizons
Applications must be submitted by February 4, 2019. Priority financial aid is awarded to applicants who apply on-time. Late applications are accepted on a space available basis only. Financial aid may not be available for late applications. Complete instructions are available on the “Apply” page.
Online Application Components
- Student Application, Short Answers, Personal Essay, Tribal & Hawaiian Enrollment documentation
- Parent Financial Summary and Tax Form
- Counselor recommendation with official academic transcript (must include 1st semester grades from this 2018-2019 school year)
- Academic Teacher recommendation (must be from core academic class, not an elective class and not from a coach)
Application Components to be Mailed
(Must be postmarked by February 4, 2019)
- Copy of Parent Tax Returns for 2017 or 2018
- Signed Waivers: Consent to Participate, Privacy Statement, Consent to Photography/Audio/Video Recording
- A $70.00 check made out to College Horizons which covers:
- $20.00 Application processing fee (non-refundable)
- $50.00 Deposit towards the $450.00 Program Fee. The deposit is refunded if the applicant is not admitted to the program
Cost of Program & Airfare
The total program cost is $450. A deposit of $50 is due at the time of application. If the student is admitted, the remaining amount is due after they have been notified of their acceptance. If a student withdraws from the program on or before April 12, 2019 they will be refunded the full amount of their application deposit. Any students who withdraw from the program after this date will be refunded the deposit only if a wait listed student can take their place.
The total cost includes tuition, dorm room/linens, meals, ground transportation to/from host airports (for those arriving by plane), and all materials. Students are responsible for their own transportation to the host campus.
Financial assistance is available for both tuition and airfare/travel (we usually award travel assistance to over 50% of our students). Students must apply for financial aid on their application and parents/guardian must provide tax returns and income information.
Students not admitted to the program will have their $50.00 deposit refunded. If a student is admitted and then notifies College Horizons of their withdrawal before April 12, 2019, their deposit will be refunded only if a wait listed student can take their place. If a student receives a travel scholarship and withdraws or is a no show to the program after a ticket has been purchased, the student and parent are responsible to pay the cancelation fee of the ticket and reimburse College Horizons for the total cost of the ticket.
To be eligible, each student must,
- Be American Indian, Alaska Native, or Native Hawaiian AND provide appropriate tribal documentation. Native American/Alaska Native students should submit copies of relevant tribal enrollment forms issued directly from a state or federally recognized tribe. Native Hawaiian students should provide verified Hawaiian documentation from the Ho’oulu Hawaiian Data Center or Office of Hawaiian Affairs. (We do not accept birth certificates or the enrollment documents of your parents/grandparents)
- Be a current 10th grade or 11th grade high school student
- Have a 3.0 grade-point average (in core academic courses, not electives)
- Be a current or permanent resident of the United States
- For those students applying for financial aid scholarships (tuition or travel assistance), a copy of a parent’s tax returns and income information is required
- Submit a complete application packet